Contact details

contact email address politicodaily@aol.co.uk

Friday 8 February 2013

Creagh contacts the Police over horsemeat scandal

The Labour party have confirmed that the Shadow DEFRA Secretary has contacted the police to pass on information that she has received concerning UK mainland companies who are potentially involved in the illegal horsemeat trade. She has also written to the Environment Secretary. Mrs Creagh, said: “I have written to the Environment Secretary to inform him that I have contacted the police to pass on information that I have received concerning UK mainland companies who are potentially involved in the illegal horsemeat trade. I hope that this information will enable the police to act speedily to stamp out these criminals who are putting the future of the British food industry at risk.”

The full text of Mary Creagh’s letter:


Rt Hon Owen Paterson MP
Secretary of State for the Environment, Food & Rural Affairs
Nobel House
Smith Square
London 
Postcode

8 February 2013

RE: Criminal Investigation into adulterated meat being sold in the UK

Thank you for your reply dated 7 February. I note that the Food Standards Agency are working with the European police on this matter and that this morning the FSA confirmed that the UK police were also involved.

Over the last three weeks the scandal surrounding adulterated meat in food products has grown. Last month Tesco withdrew frozen beef burgers that tested positive for horsemeat, the Co-operative have done the same. Several major supermarket chains have withdrawn meat products produced by Findus as their frozen lasagne tested positive for 99% horse meat.

It seems unlikely that this level of adulteration could have been accidental. It could be the result of systemic adulteration.

I have been given information about British companies who may potentially be involved in the illegal horsemeat trade. I am keen to share this information with the police to ensure that a full investigation can be made into any criminal activity, and so I have copied SOCA into this letter.

I hope that this information will enable the police to act speedily to stamp out these criminals who are putting the future of British food at risk.

If you contact my office I will arrange a time to share my information with you.

I am will be releasing this letter to the media in the public interest.

Yours sincerely

Mary Creagh MP
Shadow Environment Secretary
CC Trevor Pearce, Director General, Serious Organised Crime Agency