Contact details

contact email address politicodaily@aol.co.uk

Thursday, 2 April 2015

Labour claim Tories to close 1,000 sure start centres

The Labour party are claiming today that over 1,000 Sure Start centres could go under over the next four years. They say that this is because of, what they call, "the Tories’ extreme plans to cut spending in the next Parliament." Labour will warn today that this, if it happened, would be disastrous for thousands of families up and down the country.

Sure Start closures will hit working families already struggling under David Cameron’s government. Labour claim cuts have left many Sure Start centres closed or mothballed while childcare costs have gone up six times faster than wages and available childcare places have fallen by 40,000.

Tristram Hunt, Labour’s Shadow Education Secretary, said: "The Tories pose a real threat to Sure Start – a service relied on by thousands of working families. Before the last election, David Cameron said he would protect Sure Start but since then there are hundreds fewer centres. If they get in again they’ll do the same again. Their extreme plans mean over 1,000 of the remaining centres face the axe."

"Working families can’t afford five more years of this failing Tory plan. We need Labour’s better plan, which will revive Sure Start, provide more childcare places and extend free childcare for working parents of three and four-year-olds." Mr Hunt added.